27.4.17

Review : Geekerella


Geekerella
by Ashley Poston 
Goodreads | Book Depository )


Genre : Romance, Young-Adult, Contemporary,         Retelling
Pages : 320
Goodreads Rating : 4.17

Part romance, part love letter to nerd culture, and all totally adorbs, Geekerella is a fairy tale for anyone who believes in the magic of fandom. Geek girl Elle Wittimer lives and breathes Starfield, the classic sci-fi series she grew up watching with her late father. So when she sees a cosplay contest for a new Starfield movie, she has to enter. The prize? An invitation to the ExcelsiCon Cosplay Ball, and a meet-and-greet with the actor slated to play Federation Prince Carmindor in the reboot. With savings from her gig at the Magic Pumpkin food truck (and her dad’s old costume), Elle’s determined to win…unless her stepsisters get there first.

Teen actor Darien Freeman used to live for cons—before he was famous. Now they’re nothing but autographs and awkward meet-and-greets. Playing Carmindor is all he’s ever wanted, but the Starfield fandom has written him off as just another dumb heartthrob. As ExcelsiCon draws near, Darien feels more and more like a fake—until he meets a girl who shows him otherwise.

First impressions:

Another retelling? Cinderella? There are too much retellings that I am not fond of nowadays. But, should I? Should I? Damn it. 

After :

My dear Elle, you are so fortunate to have such a good story of your own. I am kinda jealous. The difference is my dear Elle, my own story is real, while yours are a fantasy.
 Elle has such a great personality, not like other annoying contemporary characters that I always stumbled upon and rolled my eyes because of their childish behaviour. I really like her and almost wish her to be my friend. Should I? 

Now, let's talk about Darien. Not much to talk about, but I can feel the struggle of being a star at such a young age and how people always judge their personality. I understand that his actions are always in control but I think it's too much to the extent that he can't even has his freedom with his phone? I don't see any relevancy on this matter. 

Geekerella does not lose track  from the original plot of Cinderella. It still has the evil stepmom and all and I really like the concept of the Starfield and the cosplay. It is very creative and the author has done a really good job in crossing both the classic retelling and the modern world. It makes me really wanna watch the Starfield, even though it does not exist and the fandom of this tv show is craaazy and I know how it feels to fangirl over something fictional. 



The only problem is, the mysterious-messages-relationship of this book is kinda lack of 'worthy' messages that makes them attract to each other. I mean, their messages are not those messages that can make you fall to someone, for me they are just normal messages that I use with my granny or something. Do you get what I mean? Ahh, it is hard to explain things. 

Overall, I really enjoy reading this book. I am gratefull that this book is worth the hype. Recommend it for those who wanna read something light and cheesy. Perfect for summer reading!